Friday, October 5, 2007

Keep it Simple


It’s gala season again! And, you know what that means… ball gowns and cocktail dresses are a hot commodity. This year, I’m attending the International Red Cross Ball at Mar-A-Lago, Denim and Diamonds for the American Cancer Society in Wellington and the March of Dimes gala at The Breakers. I’ve attended these same galas for the past two years and through my experiences have found that women who attend never wear the same dress twice. Each party is chalked full of gorgeous, thousands of dollar Vera Wang, Oscar de la Renta and Chanel dresses.

Being a college student, it’s difficult to buy three different dresses in the matter of a few months, let alone three designer dresses totaling well over $10,000. If you’re in the same boat as I’m in, I’ve got your solution. Last year, I purchased all of my dresses from Dillard’s and spent roughly $400 on all three. The key is to keep it simple. Dillard’s may have some pretty tacky dresses with sparkles that shed or uneven hems but if you choose simple gowns with solid colors, you’ll fit in perfectly. Once you’ve found your solid colored gown, you must accessorize. I raided my mom’s jewelry box and came across very elegant, vintage pieces that I was able to incorporate into my look. When it came time for the gala, I got many compliments from a number of women wearing designer gowns.


Take this black, Jessica McClintock dress ($180 at Dillards) as an example-- it's solid colored and looks gorgously-elegant with dripping diamond earrings!


No comments: